Would you like to spend two or three weeks in Northern Ireland on an Artist Exchange? Now is your chance to apply for the second Danville/Carrickfergus Sister Cities Artist Exchange!
The Artist Exchange program seeks to build on the strong Sister Cities partnership by promoting understanding of the unique artistic and cultural contributions of Danville-Boyle County, KY and Carrickfergus, NI through an artist exchange where a working artist (performing, visual, or literary) creates, exhibits, or performs as part of a guest artist residency. You must be at least 21, live or work in Boyle County, and currently be producing art, whatever the genre.
- The Carrickfergus Sister City Committee of the Mid and East Antrim Borough Council will host a working Boyle County artist who resides in or is employed in Boyle County, is currently producing art, and is over 21 years of age in Carrickfergus during a mutually agreed-upon three week period. The Danville Sister City Committee will host a working Carrickfergus artist who is over 21 years of age in Danville during a time of their choosing between September and May of the given year.
- The duration of the residency will be no less than two weeks and up to three weeks.
- The Danville Sister Cities Committee will pay up to $1,100 for roundtrip airfare for the Boyle County artist. Each community will house the visiting artist in a location with cooking facilities. The visiting artist will be responsible for food costs and spending money during the residency.
- Appropriate studio for the visiting artist will be made available. This will be a working residency for a practicing professional Artist working in any area of the Arts such as visual arts, theatre, music, literature, or dance.
- The artist will be expected to share his or her artwork with local school children. It is desirable that the Artist residency take place as part of existing local Arts initiatives, allowing access to the Artist and arts opportunities for the local education, arts, and community sectors to become involved with the visiting Artist and his or her work.
- The artist will present his or her artwork to community groups through a variety of means that could include hands-on workshops, open studio visits, a short performance or exhibit, talks and demonstrations, or another form of sharing agreed upon with the host Sister City Committee .
- The artist will present a culminating exhibit or performance that will include artwork created as a result of the residency in addition to previous work of the artist’s choosing. As the Artist will have become involved in the cultural life of the host location, the visiting Artist will be encouraged to include work that reflects a growing understanding of the surroundings and culture of the residency community. This culminating artistic presentation may occur during the exchange and will occur after the exchange in the home community.
- Two letters of recommendation are required, one from an educator, one from an artist.
- Two essays must be completed.
- Selection timeline:
- Applications will be accepted through midnight, February 20, 2017.
- Selected candidates will be notified of interview date by March 1, 2017.
- Nominations will be announced March 17, 2017.
- Final determination will be made by Carrickfergus selection committee no later than June 15, 2017.